Dog License Information

Which dogs must be licensed?

All dogs living the Town of Rye, including puppies who have received their first rabies shot.

Where and how do I license my dog?

Dog licenses are issued by the Town Clerk/Tax Collector’s Office located at 10 Central Road, during normal office hours. Remember to bring the dog’s current rabies certificate and spaying/neutering certificate, if applicable.

When do I license my dog?

A new adult dog should be licensed immediately, and a puppy can be licensed as soon as the puppy receives its first rabies shot. Dog licenses must be renewed annually by April 30th.

What is the annual fee to license my dog?

Spayed/neutered dogs


Male and female dogs (not spayed or neutered)


Puppies under the age of 7 months


Group License for 5 or more dogs


Senior Citizens*


for the first dog, fees as above for additional dogs

Late Fees $1.00 for each month after May that the license is not renewed.

*Senior Citizens - owner must be 65 years of age or older to qualify for discount.

What happens if I don’t license my dog?

In addition to the regular licensing fee listed above, the following will also be applied; You will be charged a late fee of $1.00 per month for each month during which the dog remains unlicensed, commencing June 1st.

In addition, you will be subject to a civil forfeiture fee of $25.00 due within 15 days after receiving a notice of forfeiture. If the forfeiture is not paid, the case will be disposed of in the Portsmouth District Court.

To avoid receiving a notice of civil forfeiture, if you no longer have the dog or have moved from Rye, please notify the Town Clerk/Tax Collector's office at 964-8562. Note: Licensing of dogs is required by New Hampshire State Law (NH RSA 466)